Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tim Shank's Independence Day Cones

The man of many names was born on the Fourth of July. Tim/Chris/Tom/Jim had his 22nd birthday celebration on Sunday. Tim always has great cake compliments. His generous servings say more than any words could. He is not a picky eater, so I had a lot of freedom with his cake. I knew exactly what kind of a design I wanted to do, but I was unsure of the flavor. It may have been a little too much freedom!

After some long thought and discussion, I realized I had been missing an obvious obsession of Tim's. He is obsessed with Mountain Dew! He is also a recent fan of whiskey sour. Ah ha!

After the recent lemon-blueberry cake for Amy, I was worried that a lemon-lime cake would be too similar. I pulled out my Susan Branch recipe book in search of ideas. Eli suggested that kiwi would taste a lot like Mountain Dew. I had never done a kiwi cake before, so that sounded like a good plan. After a trip to Wegmans, I had several options for flavors.

For the cake, I pureed two kiwis and juiced one lime and one half of a lemon and substituted that in for water in a white cake mix. I had strawberies, and I couldn't pass up adding another fruit to this cake, so I sliced some up and placed them in the batter before baking.

I came across this ice cream cone cake idea. The recipe called for buttercream frosting, but I thought that might be a bit heavy. It was also a hot day, so something lighter seemed more appetizing. I did a quick google search for Cool Whip frosting, found a basic recipe and worked with that. I bought two 16 oz tubs of Cool Whip, and used about 3/4 of it. I added one packet of lemon pudding mix, an unknown amount of confectioner's sugar, lemon juice, lime juice, and a packet of whiskey sour mix. Then I put it in the freezer so it would stiffen up. I also added three packets of Pop Rocks (which I had to make a special trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics for. They always have the best candy there!). I thought they would remind everyone of fireworks, but they had all popped in the icing before anyone could notice. Next time, I would sprinkle them on top.

Step one: put flat-bottom ice cream cones in muffin tin

Step two: pour in cake batter and add strawberries. Yes, you bake the cake IN the cones!

Fresh out of the oven! Note: add cooking time when baking in cones.

I had originally planned on piping swirls on the cones, but my bags kept bursting. Instead, I used an ice cream scoop.

I added some red, white & blue sprinkles for a little more festivity. Looks like ice cream to me!
See what I mean about the complimenting without words? He had two of these heavy cones! (It was a costume party. This is not his normal look!)
Happy birthday, Tim!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE THEM! They turned out so cute! They are even better than I imagined them when we were plotting at Amy's! One of us needs to take a trip sometime so that we can bake together <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan Roberts (other tori)July 12, 2011 at 10:06 PM

    I feel like.. you need to come to my next birthday ;) I love your cake blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so relieved to know that my boy had such wonderful friends to spend his birthday with, since he was unable to get home for the first time!! The cakes are adorable, hope you know mind if I steal the idea!!

    I won't even comment on the 'look' of my boy. glad to hear it was a costume, haha.

    Thank you all for making his birthday so special!!

    ~Tim's Mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, please do steal the idea! It was not mine originally, and I put them on here to share. If you do bake the batter in the cones, you're probably going to need to add a bit of baking time. I think these took about 10 minutes extra. I'd love to see how they turn out!

    Meghan, you and Tori should come to Rochester for your birthday! I could go all out for twins. That would require at least two cakes!

    Hannah, you should come to Rochester for the next birthday and we could make one together! You've inspired me to get more creative with flavors.

    ReplyDelete