Monday, June 27, 2011

Amy Rae Furnare's Lemon-Blueberry Birthday Cake

When was the last time I made a cake for a girl? When was the last time I iced flowers? Too long ago. What a pleasure it was being able to make a regular ol' iced cake with flowers on it. Of course, that would be boring, so I had to snazz it up somehow. Since Amy's birthday is in the summertime, I decided to do a fruity cake.

I came across a recipe for lemon-blueberry cupcakes. I have since lost the link and had to search for a new one. I found this one and this one and decided to combine the two. I didn't follow the recipes exactly except for the filling. I originally was not planning to make a filling, but I thought the cake needed a little more lemon flavoring, so I found this recipe by Martha Stewart for Lemon Curd which I followed.

After a trip to the public market, I was armed with eight lemons and three pints of blueberries. Instead of following the cake recipe, I bought a box of white cake (I know, I know) and added lemon juice and zest. I substituted half of the water for lemon juice and zested one or two lemons.

Of course I had to use buttercream frosting if I wanted to ice flowers. This time, though, it would be blueberry flavored. I threw a few handfuls of blueberries in the blender and mixed in a splash of water. That substituted the water for the buttercream frosting. It gave the frosting a great pink color that was perfect for Amy. I mixed in a little purple and green food coloring for the flowers and leaves. Then I got to decorating. The result is nothing like the sketches I had made, but I am still pleased with the outcome.

Lemons and blueberries
Looks like a muffin!
Food coloring always stains my fingers
Adding the lemon curd and blueberries
I got a little carried away with the lemons...

Yummy blueberry icing!
First round of piping
Remembering how to make roses after, what, eight years?
I wanted to write "Happy birthday, Amy" but had a lack of space. I like this better anyhow.
The final product

Top view
Happy birthday, Amy!!
Alex (Amy's boyfriend) made this adorable and delicious cookie cake
The cake was practically on fire
They were trick candles!

1 comment:

  1. I must say, you really outdid yourself with this one, twin. It was one of your prettiest and tastiest cakes yet!

    ReplyDelete