Monday, May 23, 2011

Summertime Strawberry Cake

Summertime Strawberry Cake
In continuation of graduation weekend, my friend, Eli, had a barbecue at his parent's house. Since I had made the graduation cupcakes the night before, I decided to switch it up. I was glad to be able to make whatever I wanted, with no theme or shape to worry about. The strawberries I had just bought and the beautiful weather inspired me to do a strawberry cake. I topped it with seven-minute frosting, which I hadn't made in a while. I wanted to make a cream cheese frosting, but I didn't have the ingredients for it on hand. Instead, I was able to make the cake using supplies I had in the cupboard.
I found a recipe for strawberry cake (that didn't involve cake or jell-o mix) from A Dash of Sass. Luckily, I had all of the ingredients (including the exact amount of vegetable oil) except for the lemon juice, which I omitted.

The cake turned out pretty well. It tasted very fresh and had a consistency similar to zucchini bread. A cream cheese frosting would have made it killer, though. Next time!

Strawberries!
Strawberry puree
Fresh, local brown eggs (of course)
Layer one
There is a light layer of frosting and strawberries in there
From above

The final product

The cake was quite thick!

No comments:

Post a Comment