Sunday, February 20, 2011

I hurd u liek Adam's Birthday

I hurd u liek me.

For those of you who don't know Mudkip, allow me to introduce you. He is a pokemon who always hears about people liking him. Adam originally requested my help at Halloween to make him a Mudkip costume. We ended up making him into Four Loko instead. While that was a pretty funny costume and well-worth the effort, I felt like Adam missed out on his Mudkip moment. Back in October when we were sewing the orange felt for his Four Loko costume, I decided to make his birthday cake Mudkip.

A challenge with Adam is that he doesn't really like cake all that much. You might say, OK, just make him brownies. Well, he doesn't really like sweets. I asked him if he liked banana bread, zucchini bread, angel food cake, etc. He refused to answer.

Luckily, I remembered Adam liking a particular flavor of ice cream- vanilla-pistachio. Ah-ha! I found a simple pistachio cake recipe here (which I doubled) and paired it with the recently popular buttercream frosting.

Before I go any further, I need to explain the design further. This cake is based off of a poorly drawn version of Mudkip, not the real Mudkip. It is supposed to look stupid.

Somehow they got this (poorly drawn version)...

 








 
...from this (original).
I have to admit, the stupid drawing is pretty funny. Anyway, I made one 9x12 cake for the main body and two 9in round cakes for the features.

That's a lot of cake! (FYI this recipe took 8 eggs)

This is the 9x12 pan
I thought this was a funny stage
Somewhere along the line, the legs got lost in translation with the tail. Luckily, it's supposed to look deformed.

I outlined it in black to make it look more like a paint drawing.

My icing bag burst :(

I hurd u liek me.

Me and Adam (taking a picture of me taking a picture of us)

The birthday boy with his Mudkip


1 comment:

  1. Another beautiful job, Meg. You never cease to amaze me. I can't wait to come back to Rochester so that we can make one together!

    ReplyDelete