Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Anthony's Maine-Style Whoopie Pies



Anthony's last birthday cake was, in my opinion, one of my best. It was one of my bigger cakes. This year, I had a hard time coming up with something to top it. I came up with one idea (which I can't discuss in case I need it in the future), but after discussing flavors with him, I decided to just go with something I knew he'd like and appreciate.

Last summer, I went home with Anthony to Maine. He told me all about Dysart's famous whoopie pies. After some light research in the car ride there, I found out that whoopie pies seem to have originated in two places, one of which was Maine. I believe the other inventors were Amish. I had seen whoopie pies at home in Vermont, but never quite like in Maine. They are everywhere.

We had to search and search to find the right ones, though. Apparently, Dysart's stopped making Anthony's favorite kind, but they still had another option - Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting in the middle.
Me and Anthony in Maine last summer! This was my first official whoopie pie.


I decided to skip going crazy over the design, and just make him this old favorite. It is one of those things that we have a history with. Plus, they are just delicious!

Yummy pumpkin batter
Plenty of chocolate chips
The cream cheese frosting
Fresh out of the oven
Preparing the pies, and wrapping them in saran wrap for an official whoopie pie presentation
Now that is one happy boy!
I had to snag this mid bite so I could take a picture in front of his banana tree :)

We went out with some friends on Saturday night to celebrate!  Happy 22nd birthday, Anthony!

No comments:

Post a Comment