Friday, April 30, 2010

Jillian's Birthday

This cake was really fun to make. It was also very difficult to pull off. I'm still not quite sure if I did. Some people didn't know what it was.

My friend Jillian LOVES rice crispy treats and LOVES sushi. I try to give people what they like, thus the sushi rice crispy treat cake! I made the rice crispy in a measuring glass (the kind that goes up to about 4 cups). It was very difficult to find something that would give a cylindrical shape.  Also, it was very difficult to get it out! So if you come up with something better, let me know!

The toppings are:
Mini air heads (green for celery, red for raw fish)
Fruit slices with the sugar cut off (orange and dark green)
Swedish fish for the small sushi (orange, yellow, red)
Green airhead for the garnish (cut up)
Mint oreo filling for wasabi. (I happened to have a whole bag)
Chocolate icing for seaweed

I recommend refrigerating the airheads you wish to slice. Otherwise, you may want to work them with your hands so they are soft enough to shape.

I thought this was a very clever cake since it had "rice" and Swedish fish. It was fun to eat the little ones, but almost impossible to eat the big one. I'd recommend sticking to the little guys rather than try to make things giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment